California LifeLine provides basic local home phone service to eligible households at a discount.
California LifeLine is a program of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Customers meeting the eligibility rules established by the CPUC will be offered basic flat rate service at the discounted rates summarized below:
LifeLine One Party Service $7.35/month*
LifeLine One Party Service
on Tribal Lands $0.00/month
FCC End User Charge $0.00/month
Toll Blocking or Toll
Service Connection Charge $4.00 each
Change in Grade, Type or
Class $4.00 each
*This rate may fluctuate depending on California Specific Support Amount. Rate will be reduced by $2.00 if customer subscribes to qualifying broadband plan. Contact our business office at 1-530-467-6000 for details.
LifeLine Eligibility Rules:
Effective June 1, 2022 - May 31, 2023*
The California LifeLine discount applies to the primary service located at your principal place of residence. Other lines may be added at regular basic rates unless you are Certified Deaf or Disabled*.
*A maximum of two (2) access lines with the California LifeLine discount are available to qualifying households when the household has submitted a qualifying medical certificate indicating the customer’s need for a TTY device and the presence of a TTY at the household. Additionally, single-member households may need to subscribe to three-way calling.
You may be eligible for California LifeLine under either Method 1 Program-Based or Method 2 Income-Based.
Method 1 Program-Based
You may be eligible for California LifeLine if a member of your household is enrolled in any one of the public assistance programs:
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Federal Public Housing Assistance or Section 8
CalFresh, Food Stamps or Supplemental
Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Women, Infants and Children Program (WIC)
National School Lunch Program (NSL)
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
1. California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs)
2. Stanislaus County Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (StanWORKs)
3. Welfare-to-Work (WTW)
4. Greater Avenues for Independence (GAIN)
Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
Head Start Income Eligible (Tribal Only)
Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
Federal Veterans and Survivors Pension Benefit Program
Method 2 Income-Based
*You may be eligible for California LifeLine if your total gross household income does not exceed $30,500 annually for 1 or 2 persons, or $35,400 for 3 persons, or $43,100 for 4 persons. Add $7,700 to annual income for each additional person in the household after 4 people. Income documentation is required.
3. You must not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s income tax return.
4. If either the telephone company or the CPUC finds that a LifeLine customer exceeds the income limitation, the customer will have to pay the full amount for all previous billings.
5. California LifeLine customers do not pay the following taxes, fees, and surcharges: California High Cost Fund (CHCF)-A surcharge, CHCF-B surcharge, CASF surcharge, California Teleconnect Fund surcharge, the ULTS surcharge, the California Relay Service & Communications Device Fund surcharge and the 911 tax.
If you have any questions about LifeLine eligibility, or to apply, please call us at 1-530-467-6000 or 1-866-467-6001.
You may also go to www.californialifeline.com.